Browsing: Repairs and Upgrades

Some Dirty Jobs

At the end of last season the Maserator quit working.    It is always wise to have this item in top working order.   I found a new one at Dykemans with an old price tag on it, so I bought it.   My Son Chris removed the old one and installed the new one.   During the install we noticed that the elbow down to the tank was loose.    It could have been sucking air and that might have been the problem.   We will test the old unit and then do a tear down and rebuild just in case.

 

Several years ago I built a sump pan that fit under the engine.  It worked well, but not perfect.     It was time for Ver. 2.0

With the pan on the welding bench I brazed a fitting on the bottom at the lowest point.  This will enable me to attach an oil suction hose to emptie the pan with minimum fuss.    I also added a flexible leather extension to the back, as I was suspious that I was not quite getting all the drips!

Two new solar panels installed.  A third one is on order along with the support hardware.    You can also see the new antenna support at the back.

 

 

{ Add a Comment }

Saturday with Chris

Reinstalled the Swim platform. Still have the central strut to add but it is great to have had the help to get this beast up into place.

 

Pulled the heat exchanger core out today to inspect. Looks good. I will give it a cleaning and then reinstall.

 

Installed the Zink for the prop shaft. I should get 3 months out of this, then I will dive and add another.
Found a nice little oil extraction pump direct from China. I hooked it up to the oil extraction port. This would ll make oil changes so much easier.
Pulled the main battery. Stressed tested, topped up with water and tightened connection points.
Here is the front of the engine where the heat exchanger goes. We have a bunch of stuff to put back together now.

{ Add a Comment }

Swim Row Generate

Here is the swim platform all ready to be reinstalled.  New fasteners and varnish.    Finish is also all done on the dinghy as well.

 

I got two of these flexible 100 watt panels. The mount directly on the Bimini

{ Add a Comment }

Registration and De licensing

One of the things that you must do if you are going to take a vessel to another country is to establish it in a registry.   To do this there are several steps and some funds to pay.   If you are content to just Boat in Canada you can obtain the pleasure craft license, which is free and requires nothing more than an email and a bit of information about your vessel.     If you want to become foreign going you need to tend to a few things.

  1.   Have the vessel measured for tonnage by a designated marine surveyor.  Kevin Quinn of Bay Pilots did this for me when he also completed my marine survey last fall.   The measurement has nothing to do with weight by rather volume and is historically linked to how much wine a ship could load on as cargo!
  2. I had to write to the vessel licensing people and have my license canceled so that Tevah could be registered.    That took a month or so.
  3. I thought I was ready and sent off $250 to Ottawa.   I got a response that said I also needed proof that the vessel was not also registered in the USA.    I had believed that this was done by the Boat broker, but alas it was not, or atleast the certificate of deletion was not given to me.   So, another cheque and a bundle of papers sent off the the US coast guard, and two months later I got the Deletion certificate!
  4. Finally after another month I got my registration certificate.  Now I just need a warm day to paint the number somewhere inside the hull

{ 2 Comments }

Communication, Recreation, and Transportation

I did a couple of welding projects yesterday.   One was to begin an antenna mast for my WIFI antenna and my AIS antenna.    This will be a Short mast on the stern.  Here is the beginning of it.

The other project was to add a plate to the bottom of the swim platform strut.   This will spread the load and be bolted through the transom.

Here is a nice shot of the new dinghy with the paint done and seats installed

{ Add a Comment }

Beginning the new life

Some time in the last year we made the decision to retire on my 60th birthday.  We discussed my dream of sailing south to the Bahamas for the winter.    When it was agreed, the first thing I did was to research and purchase the best possible anchor.   “Will your anchor hold…….”.  Research showed it was the Rocna.   Designed by a Kiwi for use in Antarctica, and made in Canada.   Over the last 6 months there has been lots more research and purchases of the required equipment for our safety and comfort.     You can see much of it if you view this blog and look at the category of repairs and upgrades.    In this last week (Holy Week) I took the final step of commitment by mailing off my request for pension benefits.    This Sunday is the celebration of our new life in Christ.   New life in Christ comes complete with its own anchor as well as an endless supply of everything you will ever need.

 

{ 2 Comments }

This weekends projects

New light forward cabin
Nav Station light with night vision option
Shore power plug
Rebuilt helm station seat

{ Add a Comment }

Monday Projects

New pin for boom gooseneck

Installed spring in Spinnaker pole connection

 

{ 1 Comment }

A couple more projects

Here was some wasted space that now has a good size shelf for dry goods

Storeing cans is always a challenge.   I saw this in the latest issue of good old Boat magazine

 

{ Add a Comment }